Mentors Matter: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Good Mentors Online
A mentor is an experienced and trusted advisor who provides guidance, support, and advice to help an individual achieve their personal or professional goals. They can provide valuable support and can act as role models and sources of inspiration.
The importance of having a mentor lies in the fact they offer a sense of direction and focus on how to navigate through different aspects of life whether it be professional or personal.
Additionally, mentors can provide valuable feedback and encouragement, helping mentees to identify their strengths and weaknesses and to set realistic goals, as well as offering valuable perspectives of the bigger picture.
Do I need A Mentor or a Coach?
A mentor is someone who shares their knowledge, skills, and/or experience, to help another to develop and grow. A coach is someone who provides guidance to a client on their goals and helps them reach their full potential.
Generally coaching is formal, structured, specific, measurable, and performance-driven. So, if you are dealing with a specific professional or personal issue, a coach can help. Mentors, on the other hand, offer advice based on their personal experience, expertise, and wisdom, which the mentee benefits from.
Be Your Own Life Coach
How to Find a Mentor Online
Finding a good mentor can be a game-changer for many people. However, not everyone is in an environment where they can find their ideal counselor or confidant. The good news is the internet has solved that problem and now you can find so many mentors to choose from online.
In fact, many people find mentors through online mentoring platforms, social media, or online communities. These platforms and communities connect mentees with mentors who have the skills and experience they are looking for.
What To Do When You Can’t Afford To Hire A Mentor
Well not everyone can afford to hire a mentor and not everyone is a mentor even if they seem that way to you.
You can reach out and see how a mentoring relationship is possible. If that’s not possible and you’re just looking at your mentor as a motivator, adviser, or someone you look up to, then it’s important to be clear about your goals, and what you’re trying to learn and achieve from this one-sided connection.
Keep in mind that a motivator will not have the same level of personal connection as an in-person, or video chat mentor and will not be able to provide the same level of personal guidance and support, as well as not being personally invested in your success.
But let this not hold you back from seeking online help, support or inspiration. If you are invested in changing your life, developing yourself, and achieving success nothing and no one is holding you back from surrounding yourself with good influenced learned people.
10 Tips For Finding Good Mentors Online
- Identify your goals: Before you start looking for a mentor, you must clearly know what you want to achieve. Are you looking for career advice, or do you need help with a specific skill or project? Having a clear understanding of your goals will make it easier to find a mentor who can help you achieve them.
- Look for experts in your field: A mentor doesn’t have to be a formal mentor, they could be a subject matter expert in your field. They are often more than willing to share their knowledge and experience with others. Look for experts in your field by searching online, attending events, and connecting with people on social media.
- Use online mentoring platforms: There are many online mentoring platforms that connect mentees with mentors. These platforms can be a great way to find mentors who have the skills and experience you need. Some popular online mentoring platforms include MentorCruise, TheMuse, and MentorMe.
- Join online communities: Joining online communities can be a great way to find mentors. These communities are often made up of people with similar interests, and members can share their knowledge and experience with one another. Look for online communities related to your field or interests, and participate in discussions to find potential mentors.
- Be specific in your search: When searching for a mentor, be specific about what you are looking for. This will help you find someone who can best help you reach your goals. For example, if you are looking for a mentor to help you improve your public speaking skills, look for someone who has experience in that area.
- Ask for referrals: Ask your friends, family, and colleagues if they know anyone who would make a good mentor for you. Getting a referral from someone you trust can be a great way to find a mentor.
- Consider a virtual mentor: With the rise of technology, it’s now possible to have a mentor who is located in a different part of the world. This can open up a whole new pool of potential mentors for you to choose from. Consider a virtual mentor, who can provide you with guidance and support even if they are not physically present.
- Be persistent: Finding a good mentor can take time, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t find the right person right away. Keep looking, and be persistent in your efforts. Remember, the right mentor can change your life, so it’s worth the effort to find one.
- Be prepared: Once you have found a mentor, be prepared to make the most of the opportunity. Have a list of questions and topics ready to discuss during your meetings.
- Show appreciation: Remember to show appreciation to your mentor for their time and guidance. This can be as simple as sending a thank you note or email or even treating them to a meal. A small gesture of appreciation can go a long way in fostering a strong mentoring relationship.
In addition, it’s also important to be aware that finding a mentor is not a one-way street. It’s a two-way partnership between the mentor and mentee. Therefore, it’s important to communicate openly and be honest about your goals, your strengths, and weaknesses. Be open to feedback and be willing to put in the work to achieve your goals.
Finally, remember that a good mentor should be someone you can trust, respect, and look up to. It’s not only about what they can do for you but also about the kind of person they are and how they align with your values and goals.
Here are some further readings I think you’ll find useful.
- WHY DOES LIFE GET BETTER WHEN YOU DEVELOP AN ABUNDANT MINDSET?
- 13 WAYS TO GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD AND OVERCOME SELF-DOUBT
Great tips, we definitely need to make sure that we find experts in the field. These will be very helpful!
You are right- mentors, coaches, and anyone who can motivate and inspire us can really help change our lives for the best.
This is such an awesome post on how to find a good mentor. I can personally attest to the importance of having a mentor in my professional life as a social worker. I’ve had 4 mentors and each of them has served a vital role in my life. Now that I’ve been a social worker for over 14 years, I am proud to say that I mentor others and it is a rewarding experience. Thanks for highlighting the value of mentorship!
Thanks for posting your experience with a mentor. I’m glad you are reaching out and helping others too. I hope we could work together one day.
Great tips! Thank you so much for sharing! Having a mentor that adds value to your life and helps you meet your goals would be ideal.
I’m glad you enjoyed this post. Indeed guidance from a mentor can make it easier for you to navigate through your goals.
Very insightful read, never considered having an online mentor before! Thanks for sharing – http://www.livygx.com
I’m glad you enjoyed this post. I Hope it helps you make a better decision if you decide to get a mentor.
These are great tips for finding a good mentor online. I have been thinking about getting a mentor for my business because sometimes I feel a little stuck.
Thanks for your comment. Indeed a mentor can help and there are a lot online depending on what you need.
Great info, Lani! I had no idea there are online mentoring platforms. Will be looking at some of those. Defining what I need/ want and being specific in my search are key, as you say. Thank you!
I’m glad you enjoyed this post. Do check out online mentoring platforms, I believe I linked some but there’s more if you search for them.
Love this post, this is really helpful. Thank you for sharing!
I’m glad you enjoyed this post. I hope you got some tips to add to your routines.
Great tips, With the support of a mentor, mentees can stay focused on their career, gain confidence, attain goals, and expand their networks. Having a mentor leads to self-discovery and helps you continue growing your career. Through their feedback, you’ll grow professionally and personally and be empowered to take your career where you want to go.
Thanks for your detailed comment.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Role models can have as much influence as mentors or coaches. For me, life examples are the best tutors. That’s why I am a bit skeptical of online mentors.
I totally agree with you. Role models are inspiring and motivating. It’s about choosing what works for you best!
Having the right mentor can really change things and level up your game! Thanks so much for sharing this!!
You are right, the right mentor can really make a big difference. I’m glad you enjoyed this post.
Thank you for the post. You gave great info
Thanks for your comment. I’m glad you enjoyed this post.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Having the right mentor can really change things and level up your games. Thanks for sharing this.
I’m glad you enjoyed this post. Indeed the right mentor can make a huge difference in your life.