It’s inevitable—as you age, so does your skin. It loses fat, becomes thinner, and may not heal as quickly. But exactly how your skin ages depend on a few factors: your genes, harsh weather, and your lifestyle choices.
For instance, smoking can produce free radicals. Free radicals damage cells, leading to, among other things, premature wrinkles. Primary factors contributing to wrinkled, spotted skin include normal aging, sun exposure (photoaging) and pollution, and loss of subcutaneous support (fatty tissue between your skin and muscle). Other factors that contribute to the aging of the skin include stress, gravity, daily facial movement, obesity, and even sleep position.
While you can’t change your genes, you can make other choices that help protect your skin from these common signs of aging.
Steps you need to take to slow down the aging process
- Avoid too much sun. Although we need a healthy dose of vitamin D in the early mornings. We should be cautious of sun exposure past 10 Am. Unprotected exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays causes damage that has long-term consequences. This can range from premature aging to an increased risk for skin cancer. A daily practice of sun protection is necessary, remember to stay in the shade, be conscious of the clothing you wear, and never ever forget to apply sunscreen.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly speeds up skin aging. It causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions. When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying muscles. If you repeatedly contract the same muscles for many years, these lines become permanent. Wearing sunglasses can help reduce lines caused by squinting.
- Get your beauty sleep. Sleep allows the skin to restore its natural balance. When you sleep, your body produces more proteins, like collagen and elastin, which are needed to repair and revitalize skin.
- Nourish your skin from the inside out. Good nutrition is fundamental for healthy skin. “Power foods” like avocados, oatmeal, and even dark chocolate, are known to promote a healthier, more youthful complexion. Findings from a few studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle. Like your body, your skin benefits from exercise, a good diet, proper hydration, and a good night’s sleep. A healthy lifestyle, especially when you’re young, provides a good foundation for a lifetime of healthier skin.
Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it every day for the rest of your life – Renée Rouleau.
Have a Daily Skincare Routine:
- Cleanse your skin gently. Scrubbing your skin clean can irritate your skin. Irritating your skin accelerates skin aging. Gentle exfoliation helps to remove pollution, makeup, and other substances without irritating your skin.
- Wash your face twice a day especially after sweating. Perspiration, after exercise or when wearing a hat or helmet, irritates the skin, so you want to wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
- Apply a facial moisturizer every day. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
- Make sure what you put on your skin is safe and clean. When your skin burns or stings, it means your skin is irritated and the product is not good for you. Make a habit of reading the contents/ingredients, check the expiry date, and wash your cosmetic brushes often as this would cause irritation. Irritating your skin can make it look older.
- Choose a combination of Skincare Products. Find the right combination of products that would complement your needs. Make a habit of reading the reviews and suggestions this will help you narrow down your choices.
- Consider Facial Exercises Check out the Benefits of facial exercise
- Strengthens the muscles in your face.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
- Increases blood circulation.
- Releases any tension in the face and neck.
- Firms and tightens the facial skin.
You’re never too old to become younger – Mae West.
Never too late
Even people who already have signs of premature skin aging can benefit from making Lifestyle Changes. By protecting your skin from the sun, you give it a chance to repair some of the damage. As a bonus read up on SURPRISING CELEBRITY SKINCARE SECRETS YOU CAN DO NOW