Permission is normally attained by getting approval from someone else. From childhood to adulthood we are conditioned to ask for permission and since we humans are creatures of habit, we naturally adapt without asking questions.
But do we really need approval from others on how to live our lives?
In case you haven’t noticed, in order to reach your full potential, you only need permission from one person- You! Only you can give yourself permission to change, to be happy, to be successful, to be imperfect, to be anything you want to be. So why not give yourself permission to be the owner of your life?
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post may contain affiliate links. This means that If you make a purchase through these links, I might get a commission at no extra cost to you. For more information please review my Disclosure for more info.
Who are you?
In order to find out what’s holding you back, you first need to find out who you really are.
Many of us aren’t in touch with ourselves enough to really know who we are underneath all the personas. We all know we are a certain person at home, and we are a different version for the world to see. The biggest question is – who are you when no one is watching?
“To contemplate the difference between yourself and your persona, think about the choices you make when you’re alone, when there’s nobody to judge you and nobody you’re trying to impress,” writes Jay Shetty.
You must learn to recognize and identify who you are and what makes you happy. You need to understand the person who emerges when nobody else is around.
Why do you need pemission?
This is a deeply personal question, and the answers vary from person to person. Sometimes, permission isn’t all about the large-scale changes, It’s about taking your power back by acknowledging the possibility for change.
Your Life is your own, so take ownership. Understand this, no one is going to give you permission to be yourself but you! Life will never be perfect but it can be as wonderful as you want it to be. Even that the happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
What’s holding you back?
- Lack of self-confidence
- Lack of self-belief
- Not smart enough
- The belief that you don’t have anything to offer.
- Fear of failure
- The “Better safe than sorry” mentality
- Need for acceptance
Nothing has transformed my life more than realizing that it’s a waste of time to evaluate my worthiness by weighing the reaction of the people in the stands. — Brené Brown
9 Permission slips that give back your power
- The permission to be yourself . There is no such thing as perfect in this world. But we can accept who we are and work with what we have- strangths and weaknesses. The essence in life is to be authentic to who we are.
- The permission to be happy now. You don’t need to wait for the next paycheck, vacation or a soulmate to be happy. Stop saying “soon, one day or if this happens” then I will be happy. Tomorrow is a gift, so celebrate the moment.
- The Permission to accept. Your situation may not be ideal at times but learning to accept and be grateful for what you have at the moment certainly changes perspective.
- The permission to succeed. Stop asking for permission to live your life. You are capable of accomplishing great things. You must give yourself the permission to be successful.
- The permission to fail. Failure is a part of learning. It is not a prerequisite for success on the contrary it amplifies success. By making mistakes, you not only learn, instead you build a character that transforms every other area of your life.
- The permission to be imperfect. No one is perfect and that is a fact. Embrace your imperfections. Focus on your strengths, improve on your weakness. Be grateful for your uniqueness, after all there is only one you in this world.
- The Permission of choice. We all have a choice. Choose to develop your self-love and self-care. The element of choosing to prioritize ourselves is a major source of happiness.
- The Permission to try new things. Add some spice in your daily routine. Give yourself permission to grow and try something new.
- The Permission to take a chance. Sometimes the chances we get are not always the ones we want. Yet they say some blessings come in disguises. Don’t hold back, give yourself permission to take a chance, take risks and go beyond your comfort zone
Often, the only thing standing between you and a better, healthier, successful life is simply giving yourself a permission slip to be who you truly are meant to be. So raise your standards and if you have to – curate yourself and design your life.
Other people can have their opinions but you get to have yourself and your dreams. When you give yourself permission to be who you really are. You get your life back.
Another great read: IS EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE MORE IMPORTANT FOR SUCCESS?