Why You Should Act Like No One’s In Your Business: Own Thyself
Everybody has opinions and sometimes they feel obligated to say something to you. People you know, people you love and hate, even people you’ve never met tell you what to do, what to think, how to feel, and what you do right or wrong. But do they really know what’s best for you? Here’s the reason why you should own thyself and act like no one’s in your business.
The Crux of the Advice
- People are influenced by their own desires so even with the best intentions, their advice is molded from their own definition of success. The problem is that definition may not match your own.
- People you love- want you to change for the best. I’m sure you do too. But that doesn’t mean changing all of you. Sometimes the approach of the advice might actually end up destroying a quality that you love about yourself.
- People who are close to you might fear change so much that they advise you to limit certain decisions you make for fear that it will change you and impact the relationship you have with them.
- Just because somebody has an opinion about what you should do doesn’t mean they are right. Opinions aren’t facts.
- When people offer their opinions, they base them on what they would do if faced with a similar situation. However, what they would do is based on who they are, not on who you are.
- Jealousy exists (not always but sometimes) and it clouds the advice that is given to you.
- Beware of the person that is against your evolution. You are entitled to live your best life and to achieve this it is in your best interest to change. So act like no one’s in your business, it’s time to own thyself!
You could spend your whole life trying to meet other people’s standards and that’s exhausting! You cannot please everyone and you shouldn’t have to, that is not a strategy for a fulfilling life.
As humans, we crave independence. We want to be the ones calling the shots, write our own story, make our own rules, own our own voice, and stand by our convictions. Your life is your own, you are the expert on yourself. Nobody can know what’s best for you better than you. So shut the noise, trust your instincts, and own yourself.
The Real Me Is Someone You Can’t See
Humans never give 100% of themselves. The version we choose to share with others might only be 80% of our true self. No one knows you as well as you know you.
Although it is in our nature to want to be liked, accepted, and appreciated, when we start to rely on what other people think of us, we make their opinion pivotal to our success. We start tailoring our lives to fit the expectations of others, we give our power to them, and we lose out on who we really are. and from there it’s a vicious cycle.
1. Protect Yourself. A very important thing to do is to always protect yourself from the bombardment of opinions. Other people’s advice, and opinions can kill dreams. Know who you are, and what you want in life.
2. Some People Voice their Opinions Randomly. Remember, most people aren’t paying much attention. People spend more time thinking about themselves than thinking about others.
3. Keep Perspective. It’s good to hear out constructive criticism, advice, and other people’s opinions. This can help you improve and make better decisions. But you should learn to distinguish facts from noise. Ultimately the final shot should be made by you.
4. Choose your Mentors. Were not perfect. Seek advice or opinions from those who are qualified.
5. Belief in Yourself. Stop asking people what they think of you. Most of the time, negative feedback is coming from negative people.
6. Overthinking. This can lead you to think you’re being judged even when that’s not the case. Too much worry about what other people think of you- can become a self-fulfilling prophecy that eventually governs your behavior and thoughts.
7. Life is too short. The bottom line is we have this one life, this one chance to make it a life well-lived.
A Life of Authenticity
Because other people don’t live your life, you can only live it for yourself. And for that, you must stop listening to others’ inflated belief systems. Don’t get sucked into someone’s reckless opinion, no matter how convincing it might sound.
Get to know yourself. Hang out with your own kind. Put others’ opinions in perspective. If you live up to who you naturally are daily, you’ll soon be living an authentic life.
If you enjoyed this post here’s another inspiring post: MANAGE YOUR LIFE BY MANAGING YOUR ATTENTION
I really enjoyed reading this! Simple yet insightful! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for your comment. Glad you enjoyed it.
This really resonated with me and was a much needed reminder. Sometimes I take into account how others will perceive me vs just being my authentic self. Thank you so much for sharing!
I know exactly how you feel. Glad you enjoyed this post
All so true, every word. Overthinking is a tendency I have, which always leads to losing perspective. Knowing what works for me, exercise, gets me out of my own head most of the time.
I totally agree with you. Overthinking does no good. We need to know what to do to get out of that state of mind.
This is a great post! I get so caught up with what people think and how they feel, that I let it affect me. I really suck at setting boundaries! But, you’re right I need to protect myself. I loved reading this post. I have some things I need to work on! Thanks for sharing.
I understand exactly how you feel. Indeed boundaries are important.
I agree with many of these suggestions. Thank you
Thanks for your comment. I’m glad you enjoyed this post.